My international research profile is evidenced by the number of invitations I received to deliver a large number of speeches and presentations at international conferences, events and visits. These invitations recognise numerous key notes and plenary addresses I have delivered which further confirms my position as a global leader in my chosen area of expertise and as a catalyst for positive change, both within the built and human environment and at its many interfaces. These opportunities provide the means to disseminate my research to international policy makers, industrialists and academics. They generate impact and enable me to play a leading role in shaping the built and human environment links to disaster mitigation and reconstruction, incorporating inclusiveness and social responsibility.
- Risk is systemic, crises are cascading Contributions of the scientific community in addressing the dual challenges to enhance comprehensive disaster risk management
Title of the event: INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES (marks 100 years of humanities and social sciences in higher education in Sri Lanka: Innovation and Adaptation in a time of Crisis),
Organised by: University of Colombo, Sri Lanka (3rd December 2021 )
- Disaster research revisited: issues, challenges and opportunities in effective policy making
Title of the event: Fifth World Congress on Disaster Management, Perspectives in Disaster Research: Status, Needs & Opportunities”
Organised by: National Institute of Disaster Management, Government of India (15th November 2021)
- Climate Action and Risk Informed Sustainable Development: Synergies and Trade-Offs
Organised by: APEC Programme in Rejuvenating cities and resilience capacities for multi challenges of Covid -19 Pandemic, Extreme weather events, and climate induced disasters (REJUVENATE-CITIES-C19), Disaster Preparedness and Prevention Centre, Malaysia-Japan International Institute of Technology, University Technology Malaysia, APEC EPWG and National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA) Malaysia (Date: 13th October 2021)
- Climate-Induced Hydrological Disasters, Policies & Management: Mitigating the Impacts through governance and institutional arrangements
Title of the event: Conference Cum Training on “Climate Induced Hydrological Disasters, Policies and Management”: Climate Change and Natural Disasters – Linkages, Implications, and Capacity Development
Organised by: Amity Institute of Environmental Sciences, Amity University Uttar Pradesh (7th -9th October 2021)
- Policy Challenges Associated with the COVID-19 Pandemic Governance
Title of the event: Missing Insights on COVID-19: The Intersectionality of Risk and Resilience in South Asia
Organised by: All India Disaster Mitigation Institute (AIDMI) (24th September 2021)
- Long term vision for S & T and policy integration and localisation to tackle climate change
Title of the event: High Level Policy Dialogue on Localising Climate Resilience Agenda: Vision 2050 and 2100
Organised by: National Institute of Disaster Management, Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi & Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India, New Delhi (2nd – 3rd September 2021)
- Urban Disaster Risk Reduction: Strengthening risks fragility and resilience for sustainable development
Title of the event: Disaster Risk Reduction – Local Resilience in Europe and Central Asia, Introduction to Geospatial Technologies for Achieving SDGs – Demographic Considerations
Organised by: United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction – Europe and Central Asia (UNDRR-ROECA) and the Regional Secretariat for Making Cities Resilient 2030 for Europe and Central Asia (Date: 2nd July 2021)
- Unmaking Disasters: Education as a Tool for Disaster Risk Reduction and Sustainable Development
Title of the event: 2nd International Symposium on Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development” (DRSD-2021)
Organised by: Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand (24th – 25th June 2021)
- Impact of Climate Change on Sustainable Development: Harmonising climate action with broader Sustainable Development Goals
Title of the event: “Knowledge sharing workshop on “Climate change and Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Development
Organised by: University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka (12th -17th June 2021)
- ‘Academic Writing’ and Peer review process: What Editors are looking for? (together with Professor Richard Haigh)
Title of the event: Webinar on Writing articles for high impact journals: a guide to young scientists
Organised by: National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka in collaboration with the Continuous Professional Development Committee of the Institution of Engineers of Sri Lanka (IESL) and the General Research Committee (GRC) of the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS) (25th May 2021) – This event was attended by over 1000 delegates.
- Indian Ocean Tsunami Early Warning and Mitigation System: A system of Systems
Title of the event: International Workshop on “Developing next-generation earthquake and tsunami early warning systems for the enhancement of disaster resilience in urban societies”
Organised by: University College, London (21st May 2021)
- After the Tsunami – The impact of the Indian Ocean tsunami on Sri Lanka’s cultural heritage
Title of the event: International dialogue on Cultural Heritage Protection in case of Disasters and Pandemics
Organised by: World Association for the protection of Tangible and Intangible Cultural Heritage in times of armed conflicts – WATCH (10th May 2021)
- Disaster Resilient Properties: Built Environment Discourse. Invited keynote speaker of the International policy dialogue on Disaster Risk Reduction: Civil Engineering for a Disaster Resilient Society, held from 19-21 March 2021. It is Organized by Civil Engineering Council of India, together with Asian Disaster Risk Reduction and Response network.
- Keynote speech: Research relevance and interest beyond a community of scholars: How can we achieve this? Strengthening University-Enterprise Collaboration for Resilient Communities in Asia (SECRA), held from 2–4 February 2021.
- Keynote speech: “What role for science in understanding, reducing, and managing Disaster Risks?”, 2020 Annual Sessions of the Sri Lanka Association of Advancement of Science, held form 6th – 11th December 2020, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Keynote speech: “Disasters don’t stop for a virus”. At the Annual Meeting of the Sendai Framework National Focal Points in Europe and Central Asia, held from 15-16 December 2020, this event was organised by the UNDRR Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia, which covered 56 countries across European and Central Asia
- “Trends and Current Practices of Disaster Risk Reduction and Management”, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, September 2020
- Keynote speech on “Sendai Framework 2015-30: Perceptions, Challenges and the Way Forward”, Disaster Risk Governance Webinar Series (6 days of activities, from 13th to 18th October 2020), India, in marking the International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction (IDDRR) to promote a global culture of Disaster Reduction.
- A keynote speech at the International Dialog on “Disaster during Disaster: Multi Hazard Approach for Geological and Hydro-meteorological Hazards Amid Covid19 Pandemic”, organised by Indonesia National Disaster Management Organisation (BNPB), Meteorological, Climatological and Geophysical Agency (BMKG) of Indonesia together with UNESCO and Indonesia Disaster Experts association, held on the 12th October, marking the International DRR day. 12th October 2020
- Keynote at the GLOBAL HEALTH & SAFETY CONCLAVE – 2020 Safety to Sustainability – Journey towards Excellence, organised by SANMUDHUR, New Delhi, India, in partnership with Global Society of HSE Professionals. October 2020. Title of the keynote speech: “Risks to disasters and associated safety: Examples from Tsunami early warning and pandemics integration”.
- Keynote speaker at the occasion of launching the book titled “Disaster Resilience in South Asia: Tackling the Odds in the Sun-Continental Fringes” (Routledge UK, 2020), written by Ifte Ahmed, Kim Maund and Thayaparan Gajendran, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- Keynote speech on: Infrastructure Development in a post-COVID-19 world. Construction Futures Conference – 7th July 2020. University of Wolverhampton, UK.
- Keynote speech on strategic lessons for mainstreaming DRR and Resilience along with the health and environmental risks. organised by the National Institute of Disaster Management, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. June 2020.
- Keynote speech on Current Context of Multi-hazard Early Warning Systems and SDGs. At the International Conference on Earth and Environmental Sciences & Technology for Sustainable Development, 25 – 30 January 2020, Hotel InterContinental, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Keynote speech on Current Context of Multi-hazard Early Warning Systems: The interface between upstream detection of multi hazards to the downstream response. At the 9th International Conference on Building Resilience: Investing in Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation for Building Resilient Cities. In association with the 3rd ITB Centennial International Conference on Disaster Management-P100 IC 03, 13 – 15 January 2020, Western Resort, Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia
- Keynote speech, Resilient Construction saves lives, protects livelihoods, and safeguards development: Notion of mainstreaming DRR in the construction process. At the 10th international conference on Structural engineering and construction management, 12th – 14th December 2019. University of Peradeniya, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- Keynote speech on DRR, climate change and sustainable development. At 16th International conference on business management (ICBM), Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
- Keynote speech on Mainstreaming disaster resilience in the construction process. At the 2019 International Sustainable Built Environment conference: Sustainability and Resilience, University of Malta, Malta.
- Keynote speech on the Status of Local and DRR and CCA challenges in the Asia Pacific Region. At the International Workshop on LOCAL DISASTER RISK REDUCTION STRATEGIES, UNDRR Global Education Training Institute (GETI), Incheon, Republic of Korea, held from 1st – 3rd October 2019
- Keynote speaker, Multi-Hazard Early Warning Systems for resilience building to extremes and disasters, 2019 UCL Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction (IRDR) Annual Conference theme: Cascading and Interconnected Risk, 19th June 2019, UCL, London.
- Keynote speaker, LOCALISING STRATEGIES FOR MAKING CITIES RESILIENT TO DISASTERS, EPICentre Encounters: Recent advances and perspectives in multi-hazard risk and resilience, 2 – 3 July 2019, UCL, London. (EPICentre – Dynamic Multidisciplinary Research Centre that investigates Risk to Society, the Built and Natural Environment from Natural Hazards)
- Talk on Socioeconomic and Data challenges Disaster Risk Reduction in Europe, European Science & Technology Advisory Group, Plenary Meeting, 14 May 2019, United Nations Global Platform, Geneva, Switzerland
- Invited speech as a formally appointed Panellist. Working Session, The Role of Green, Blue and Grey Infrastructure in Reducing Disaster Risk, 17 May 2019, United Nations Global Platform, Geneva, Switzerland. Rest of the invited Panelists included: Minister of Public Works, Transport, Housing and Urban Development, El Salvador; Head of the Natural and Hydraulic Risks Department, General Directorate for Risk Prevention, Ministry of Ecological and Solidarity Transition, France; OIC Assistant Secretary for Staff Bureaus, The Philippines; CEO, Global Infrastructure Basel (GIB) Foundation; and Director of Global Ecosystem Management Programme, International Union for Conservation of Nature
- Keynote speaker, Early Warning and Early Action towards Sustainable, Resilient and Inclusive Societies, The Second Multi-Hazard Early Warning Conference (MHEWC-II), 13-14 May 2019, WMO Headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland
- Keynote speaker, “Business Continuity Planning: best practices” at the Round Table on Multi-hazard Business Continuity Management for Small and Medium Enterprises, organised by Ministry of Public Administration & Disaster Management, Sri Lanka and Disaster Management Centre, Sri Lanka, 17th January 2019
- Keynote speech entitled: “Earthquakes don’t kill, poorly constructed buildings do”, at the 8TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BUILDING RESILIENCE, “Risk and Resilience in practice: Vulnerabilities, Displaced People, Local Communities and Heritages, held from November 14-16, 2018, in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Keynote speech entitled: “DISASTER RISK REDUCTION PARTNERSHIPS: A 2030 Vision for a Disaster Resilient Future in Sri Lanka”, at the Launch of THE ASSOCIATION OF DISASTER RISK MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONALS IN SRI LANKA, on the 23rdAugust 2018, BMICH, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Chief guests of the Official Launch were Hon. Ranil Wickremasinghe, Prime Minister of Sri Lanka and His Excellency Maithripala Sirisena, President of Sri Lanka.
- Invited talk to University of Colombo senior staff, invited by the University of Colombo Vice Chancellor Prof. Lakshman Gunawardena on The global context of internationalisation of R&D: University of Huddersfield, UK – Working with University of Colombo for mutual benefit”
- Invited talk to University of Moratuwa Senate, invited by Prof. Kapila Perera, Vice Chancellor of University of Moratuwa on “The global context of internationalisation of R&D: University of Huddersfield, UK – Working with University of Moratuwa for mutual benefit”, August 2018.
- Appointed as a Speaker of the Technical Session on Strengthening Disaster Risk Governance to manage Disaster Risk, The Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction 2018 (AMCDRR), jointly hosted by the Government of Mongolia and the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), 03- 06 July 2018, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Keynote speech, “When natural hazards and man-made disasters meet: Tsunami and ethnic conflict interface in Sri Lanka”, Tsunami and Disaster Research Centre (TDMRC), Syiah Kuala University, Banda Aceh, Indonesia, April 2018.
- Keynote speech, “Upstream-Downstream Interface In End-To-End Tsunami Early Warning And Mitigation Systems”, INTERNASIONAL CONFERENCE ON DISASTER MANAGEMENT (ICDM), 5TH ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING DISASTER RESEARCH 2018 INDONESIAN DISASTER EXPERTS ASSOCIATION (IABI), Andalas University, Padang, Indonesia. May 2018.
- Keynote speech on “Preventing the causes of mass displacement”, Royal Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Development Symposium, Inclusive Prosperity and Wellbeing in the Context of Mass Displacement, 11th – 14th February 2018, Kigali, Rwanda
- Keynote speech, “The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, SDGs, “Making Cities Resilient” and Localising Global Frameworks”. International research workshop on: LOCALISING STRATEGIES FOR MAKING CITIES RESILIENT TO DISASTERS, 2nd January 2018 to 26th January 2018, Manila, The Philippines.
- Keynote speech, “International Collaborations in Higher Education Institutions in South Asia: Needs, Challenges and Opportunities. “Building the Future – sustainable and resilient environments”, 9thInternational Conference of Faculty of Architecture Research (FARU), University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 8-9 December 2017, Colombo
- Keynote Speech, UN Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030: Role of Science and Technology in Perspective,4TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON EARTH SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING, Andalas University, Padang, INDONESIA, 29TH -31ST AUGUST 2017
- Keynote, Integration of Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction: Tsunamis in perspective, INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP on Science and Technology Contribution in Policy Improvement and Capacity Building for Advance-Early Warning System against Near-Field Tsunami Risk, Bali, Indonesia, 21-23 August 2017
- Invited keynote speaker,” Disasters and resilience to the broader agenda of eradicating poverty”, High Level Political Forum (HLPF), United Nations Headquarters, New York, USA, 11th July 2017.
- Invited Keynote Speaker, Mainstreaming disaster resilience in the construction process, 2nd E- Conference on Landslide Disaster Risk Reduction, World Centre of Excellence on Landslide Disaster Reduction: Model Policy frameworks, Standards and Guidelines on Landslide Disaster Reduction, Organized By: Natural Resources Management & Laboratory Services, CENTRAL ENGINEERING CONSULTANCY BUREAU, Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment. June 2017.
- Keynote speaker, “Raising Your profile and keep it there Or How to let others know you are doing OK !!”, Women in Architecture, The University of Huddersfield in Collaboration with RIBA. 14th June 2017.
- Invited keynote speaker at the “Risk Awareness and Future Challenges” – NBRO International Symposium, held from 6 – 7 December 2016 at Water’s Edge, Battaramulla, Sri Lanka. The keynote address was entitled “Risk Awareness and Future Challenges: The Role of Research and Development”. National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) of Sri Lanka is the premier research & development institute established in 1984 has now grown into a successful technical service provider and research & development institution where experts from multiple disciplines have teamed up and dedicated to creating a disaster free built environment for the nation. 2016.
- Invited Keynote Speaker at the University of Huddersfield’s multi-disciplinary postgraduate research conference held on the 18thin November 2016: “Responding to global challenges: Pooling and sharing of knowledge across institutions, across disciplines and across continents”. 2016.
- Keynote speech: “Disaster Risk Governance at the local level”, United Nations High Level Forum on “Implementing Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction at Local Level, City Hall, Florence, Italy, 16-17 June 2016
- Keynote speech: “When natural and man-made disasters meet…, Fourth conference Åre Risk Event in Åre, Sweden, 14–16 June 2016 on Resilience: Challenges and Opportunities for societal contingency and individual safety’. The Risk and Crisis Research Centre at Mid Sweden University. 2016
- Keynote speech: “Developing a resilient built environment”. Sêr Cymru NRN-LCEE & Royal Society of Biology Workshop on Exploring Resilience, 18 May 2016, SSE Swalec, Cardiff. This event is orgnaised by the Sêr Cymru National Research Network for Low Carbon, Energy and Environment (NRN-LCEE), in partnership with the Royal Society of Biology (RSB). 2016
- Invited speech titled: “Managing housing needs in post conflict housing reconstruction”, at the International Conference on Socio-political and Cultural Dimensions of Reconciliation in Sri Lanka held on 6th May 2016 at Sri Lanka Foundation Institute, Colombo 7, Sri Lanka. The Association of Sri Lankan Sociologists and Sri Lanka Foundation Institute organised the conference. 2016
- Keynote speech, “Words Into Action” Guidelines for the Sendai Framework – Working Group on DRR Governance and Accountability, UNISDR Inter-Governmental Support Group, 26 January 2016, CICG, Geneva, Switzerland. 2016.
- Invited keynote session on “SOUTH ASIA AND THE SOCIETAL CHALLENGES: A REGIONAL PERSPECTIVE” at the international research conference of the Faculty of Architecture of the University of Moratuwa on Responsive Built Environment, held on December 11-12, 2015 in Colombo, Sri Lanka. 2015.
- Delivered a keynote lecture entitled: “Research and innovation to address societal challenges: Priorities for EU-South Asia cooperation in Horizon 2020”, at the 3rd PlanoCosmo and 10th SSMS International Conference on ‘Resilient City, Resilient Region’, held from 26 – 27 October 2015 at the Institute Technology of Bandung, Bandung, Indonesia. This international conference was jointly organised by Department of Urban and Regional Planning of Institute Technology of Bandung and the Society of Social Management System. 2015
- A keynote speech entitled” Disaster risk mitigation for infrastructure – Global perspective”, Symposium on Enhancing Resilience of Critical Road Structures: Bridges, Culverts and Flood Ways, Bush fire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre (BNHCRC), Disaster Resilience Australia & RMIT University, Australia. July 2015.
- Lead Speaker – Is 2015 a pivotal year for disaster risk and building more resilient communities? A Global Disaster Resilience Centre lecture, 22 June 2015, University of Huddersfield, UK
- A keynote speech entitled: “Capacity Building Framework for Disaster Mitigation and Preparedness”, E Conference on Landside risk reduction – Model Policy frameworks, Standards and Guidelines on Landslide Disaster Reduction. The event is being organized by the World Centre of Excellence on Landslide Disaster Reduction, Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau and the Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment in Sri Lanka, May 2015
- A keynote address entitled: “A disaster resilient built environment in urban cities: The need to empower local governments”. E Conference on Landside risk reduction – Model Policy frameworks, Standards and Guidelines on Landslide Disaster Reduction. The event is being organized by the World Centre of Excellence on Landslide Disaster Reduction, Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau and the Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment in Sri Lanka, May 2015
- A keynote address entitled “Tackling societal challenges through international collaboration” at the Disasters and Human Security Public Forum organised at the UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction held in Sendai, Japan from 14 – 18 March 2015.Tohoku University International Program in Human Security and United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security jointly hosted this public forum.
- Session on Gender and Recovery, Workshop on Tsunami Recovery in Sri Lanka: Ten Years On, 5th December 2014, Galle Face 6 Conference Hall, Galle Face Hotel, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Organized by SPARC, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka; Global Disaster Resilience Centre, University of Huddersfield, UK; University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka; and CASCADE Project (European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement n° 609562)
- Invited speech, International best practices, Conventions, knowledge transfer mechanisms, the future we want; Safer Sri Lanka; Disaster Management Conference; 24-26 September 2014 – BMICH, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka; To assess and share the lessons learned, best practices, repercussions, challenges of disaster risk management and development activities initiated by the DRM stakeholders in Sri Lanka since 2004 Great Indian Ocean Tsunami.
- Keynote address – Disaster Risk Reduction and the Built Environment, ICPS’ International Roundtable on Disaster Resilience, Brussels. International Centre for Parliamentary Studies 27th November 2013.
- Keynote address – Improving Disaster Resilience and Mitigation – New Means and Tools, Trends; NATO Advanced Research Workshop: an invitational workshop, with all participants approved by the SPS program (NATO) and with a participation A volume will be published in NATO series after the ARW, based on the presented key notes; Iasi, Romania, November 6-8, 2013
- Strengthening Local Risk Management and mainstreaming Disaster Risk Reduction for sustainable development. Keynote speech at the “From Opportunity to Action: Bridging the Gap between Disaster Reduction and Development through Science(s), Technology and People-Centred Actions” conference, Dealing with Disasters (DwD 2013) together with the 4th Conference of the IDRiM Society (2013), September 2013, Northumbria University, UK
- Keynote address – Rebuilding for Resilience: Post-Disaster Reconstruction as a social system as part of Panel VII: “Resiliency and Social Systems”, at the Fourth Annual Conference on Community Resilience, Building the Critical Infrastructure for Resiliency: International Goals – National Strategies – Local Actions August 29 – 30, 2013 Davos, Switzerland in Partnership with The Global Risk Forum U.S. National Academy of Sciences Virginia Tech. Fourth Annual Conference on Community Resilience, August 29 – 30, 2013 Davos, Switzerland – August 2013
- Keynote address – Challenges in Managing Housing Needs in Post Conflict Housing Reconstruction. 9th Annual International Conference of the International Institute for Infrastructure Renewal and Reconstruction be held at the Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia from 8th – 11th July 2013.
- Keynote address – “Disaster Resilient Cities”, UNISDR Training Day, Geneva, Switzerland, June 2013
- “When natural and man-made disasters meet together”, Professorial College, University of Salford, June 2013
- Tri – University Symposium – ‘Conflict Studies’ – keynote presentation entitled “Managing Housing Needs in Post Conflict Housing Reconstruction”, University of Salford, UK – April 2013
- Keynote address – Building Disaster Resilient Communities, Department of Civil Engineering, RAZAK School of Engineering and Advanced Technology, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, March 2013.
- Keynote address – Raising your research profile Or How to let others know you are doing OK !!, RAZAK School of Engineering and Advanced Technology, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, March 2013.
- Invited keynote presentation on ” Social vulnerability”, Regional Workshop on Coastal Hazards and applications in Risk Assessment and Mitigation organised by UNESCO/IOC, Paris, 19-22 March 2013, Mount Lavinia Hotel, Sri Lanka.
- “Fundamentals of Facilities Management Principles: Social Enterprise Applications in an Urban FM Setting, A service delivery model”, Invited speech at the Department of Building Economics, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. 2012.
- Role and impact of DRR Networks for Local Capacity Development, invited speech at the 1st Stock-Taking Workshop, Resilient Cities Capacity Development (RCCD) Programme, September 19-21, 2012 in Incheon, Republic of Korea. Organised by the UNISDR (United Nations Strategy for Disaster Reduction)
- Keynote speech titled “Rebuilding for Resilience: Reconstructing Infrastructure in the North and East of Sri Lanka: Opportunities and Challenges”, 4th APSL Research Symposium & Convention, Sheffield, UK, November 2012, organised by the Association of Professional Sri Lankans in the UK (APSL).
- Keynote Speech on Rebuilding for Resilience, The Ceylon Institute of Builders (CIOB), International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (CIB) and Building Economics and Management Research Unit (BEMRU) jointly organised the CIOB World Construction Conference 2012 under the theme, “Global Challenges in Construction Industry” from 28th – 30th June 2012 at Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Keynote speech titled “Post-Disaster Reconstruction of the Built Environment: Rebuilding for Resilience”, International Conference on Global Environmental Change – Challenges & Innovations, Chennai, India, February 2012, organised by University of Madras, India
- Keynote speech: “Community Based Disaster Risk Reduction: Examples from Post Disaster Reconstruction”, Patuakhali Science and Technology University, Patuakhali, Bangladesh, September 2011
- Keynote address: “The Case for Building Resilience: Are we really Emerging from Adversity?”, “Cost management in a real world emerging from adversity”, 15th Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors Congress, Organized by Institute of Quantity Surveyors Sri Lanka (IQSSL), July 2011, Sri Lanka
- Speech and presentation on “Multi University Consortium for Building Resilience” National Disaster Management Coordination Committee Meeting. Disaster Management Centre, 27th July 2011, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Speech and presentation on Socio-economic conditions in post conflict reconstruction, Annual International Conference on Disaster Management, organized by the International Institute for Infrastructure, Renewal and Reconstruction (IIIRR), USA, in collaboration with American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), USA, November 2010
- Keynote speech on “A Resilient City – A myth or a reality?” The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Annual Research Conference on Building and Construction (COBRA), Dauphine Université Paris, France, on 2-3 September 2010
- Invited speech at the UNDP National Training Workshop on Disaster Risk Assessment and Management for the Coastal Zone of Sri Lanka – Developing a knowledge base on Hazards, Vulnerabilities and Capacities for Disaster Risk Reduction, “CAPACITY BUILDING FOR PRAPREDNESS AND RECONSTRUCTION, RISK and RESILIENCE – concept of empowerment”, Kandy, Sri Lanka, June 2010
- Invited speech on Resilient cities -making disaster risk reduction a reality, at the UNDP National Training Workshop on Disaster Risk Assessment and Management for the Coastal Zone of Sri Lanka – Developing a knowledge base on Hazards, Vulnerabilities and Capacities for Disaster Risk Reduction, Capacity Development for a Resilient Built Environment, Kandy, Sri Lanka, June 2010
- Invited speech on Resilient cities -making disaster risk reduction a reality, at the UNDP National Training Workshop on Disaster Risk Assessment and Management for the Coastal Zone of Sri Lanka – Developing a knowledge base on Hazards, Vulnerabilities and Capacities for Disaster Risk Reduction, Making Batticaloa a Resilient City 2010-2011 World Disaster Reduction Campaign, Kandy, Sri Lanka, June 2010
- The speech titled Evaluation of disaster risk reduction practices and vulnerabilities of infrastructure reconstruction at the International Research Conference on Sustainability, The Commonwealth Association of Surveying and Land Economy (CASLE) and Building Economics and Management Research Unit (BEMRU), Department of Building Economics, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, June 2010
- Invited speech on “environmental disaster risk reduction and capacity development”, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, March 1010
- Invited speech on “Disaster risk reduction and capacity development”, Faculty of Built Environment and Engineering, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia, March 1010
- Invited keynote speech on “Assessing vulnerability, resilience and capacity”. Disaster Risk Reduction for Natural Hazards: Putting Research into Practice, 6th – 9th November 2009, UCL, London.
- Invited speech on “Postgraduate research practices and the role of the CIB”. Associated Schools of Construction (ASC), Annual International Conference, University of Florida, USA. April 2009.
- Invited keynote on “social infrastructures in post disaster reconstruction, annual international conference on “Impact of natural hazards and disasters on social & economic infrastructure development, organised by the Infrastructure Institute for Renewal & Reconstruction, Ahungalla, Sri Lanka, July 2009.
- Invited keynote speech on “Opportunities Associated with Post- Disaster Infrastructure Reconstruction in Achieving Millennium Development Goals”. International conference on social development and transition – Paths for global local partnerships, organised by the international consortium for social development and hosted by the Department of Social Work, Purbanchal University, Kathmandu, Nepal. November 2008.
- Invited keynote speech on “Social challenges of rehabilitation and reconstruction”. Seminar on “Rehabilitation and Reconstruction of the Northern and Eastern Provinces, Colombo, Sri Lanka. June 2009.
- Invited Presentation on role of Built Environment Professionals in Disaster Management, International conference on social development and transition – Paths for global local partnerships, organised by the international consortium for social development and hosted by the Department of Social Work, Purbanchal University, Kathmandu, Nepal. November 2009.
- Invited keynote presentation titled “Economic development through post-disaster infrastructure reconstruction” at the “Disaster Recovery for Risk Reduction and Development”. Symposium organised by the Chamber of Construction Industry Sri Lanka. November 2008.
- Invited keynote presentation on the role of Built Environment Professionals in Disaster Mitigation and Reconstruction. Institute of Quantity Surveyors, Sri Lanka in Collaboration with Association of Construction Professionals, Sri Lanka. September 2008.
- Keynote speech on “How to develop a research profile”, Department of Building Economics Research Development symposium, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, September 2008
- Keynote speaker – tile of the keynote speech “Post Disaster Re-Construction Challenges: Case Studies from Post-tsunami Sri Lanka”, 4th International i-Rec Conference 2008 Building resilience: Achieving effective post-disaster reconstruction, Christchurch, New Zeeland, April 2008
- Keynote speaker at the Changing the face of Construction 2008 conference, Blackpool, 2008. Employability of Women Managers in the Educational Sector
- Keynote speaker at changing the face of Construction, CITB Construction Skills, Liverpool, 2007. Developing Women Leaders in the UK Construction Industry
- Invited keynote speech on, “The role of the construction industry in disaster preparedness, response and recovery”, Annual Bank Conference on Development Economics, The World Bank, Bled, Slovenia, May 2007.
- Invited speaker of the “Customising the QS to face challenges in the 2020”, Colombo Sri Lanka, January 2006
- Invited speaker on “Construction Process Improvement”, Institute for Construction, Training and Development, Ministry of Housing and Construction, Sri Lanka, December 2004.
- Invited talk on the Use of the Balanced Scorecard in NHS Estates and Facilities. NHS Estates, Leeds.
- Invited to deliver lectures and presentations on “How to Develop a Balanced Scorecard: Guide to Balanced Scorecard Performance Management Methodology” with NHS Estates. 2001 – 2002.